The Jackson Custom Shop Exclusive SL2H-V Soloist guitar [amazon link] refers to a specific model of the Jackson Soloist electric guitar that was available as an exclusive offering from the Jackson Custom Shop.
Here are some general features and characteristics that you might expect from a Jackson Custom Shop Exclusive SL2H-V Soloist guitar:
Jackson Soloist guitars [Amazon link] often feature neck-through-body construction, which provides enhanced sustain, stability, and access to upper frets.
Neck-through-body construction is a type of guitar design where the neck of the guitar extends through the entire length of the body, forming a single continuous piece of wood. This construction method is known for its impact on a guitar’s tone, sustain, stability, and overall playability. It is commonly found in high-end and custom guitars, especially those designed for performance and extended play.
Here are some key characteristics and advantages of neck-through-body construction:
- Sustain and Resonance: Neck-through-body construction often results in increased sustain and resonance. The uninterrupted wood grain between the neck and body allows vibrations to transfer more freely from the strings through the neck, down the body, and into the bridge. This can lead to longer sustain and improved overall tone.
- Stability and Durability: Neck-through-body guitars tend to be more stable and durable due to the continuous wood grain and the absence of a joint between the neck and body. This construction method can help reduce the risk of neck warping or twisting over time.
- Access to Higher Frets: Neck-through-body designs often feature a sculpted heel joint, which provides easier access to the higher frets on the fingerboard. This makes it more comfortable for players to reach and play notes in the upper register of the neck.
- Tonal Characteristics: Neck-through-body guitars are known for their balanced and even tonal characteristics across the entire frequency spectrum. The construction method can contribute to a rich and full sound with enhanced sustain and a smooth transition between different registers.
- Aesthetics: The seamless integration of the neck and body can create a visually appealing design. Many neck-through-body guitars feature intricate wood grain patterns that run from the headstock all the way to the tail of the body.
- Customization: Neck-through-body construction allows for greater customization options. Builders can experiment with different wood combinations, body shapes, and finishes to create unique and personalized instruments.
- Weight Distribution: Neck-through-body guitars often have a more balanced weight distribution, as the weight of the neck is integrated with the body. This can contribute to improved playing comfort, especially during long performances.
Soloist Body Shape
The Soloist [Amazon link] is known for its sleek and modern design, characterized by its superstrat-style body shape. It typically features a double-cutaway design for easy access to the higher frets.
Jackson Custom Shop guitars are known for their exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail. These guitars are typically handcrafted by skilled luthiers, ensuring top-tier build quality.
The SL2H-V Soloist would likely feature high-quality tonewoods for its body and neck. Common tonewood choices for Soloist guitars include mahogany, alder, or basswood for the body, and maple or mahogany for the neck.
Fretboard: The fretboard material is often rosewood or ebony, known for their smooth feel and durability. The fretboard typically features a compound radius for comfortable playing across the entire neck.
The SL2H-V Soloist would likely be equipped with high-quality pickups, such as Seymour Duncan or EMG pickups. These pickups are chosen for their ability to deliver versatile and powerful tones suitable for a variety of musical styles.
Guitar pickups are electromagnetic devices that capture the vibrations of guitar strings and convert them into electrical signals. These signals are then sent to an amplifier or other signal processing equipment to produce sound. The choice of pickups significantly affects a guitar’s tone, character, and versatility. Different types of pickups offer distinct tonal qualities, and manufacturers often use a variety of pickups to suit different playing styles and musical genres.
In the case of the Jackson Custom Shop Exclusive SL2H-V Soloist guitar or any other Jackson guitar, the specific pickups used can vary based on the model, the player’s preferences, and the guitar’s intended purpose. Jackson guitars are known for offering a range of pickup options to cater to various playing styles, from heavy metal and hard rock to jazz and blues.
Some common pickup brands and models that you might find in Jackson guitars, including the SL2H-V Soloist, include:
- Seymour Duncan Pickups: Seymour Duncan is a renowned pickup manufacturer known for producing a wide range of pickups suitable for various genres. Some popular models you might find in Jackson guitars include the JB (Jeff Beck) model, which offers a powerful and versatile tone, and the ’59 model, known for its warm and balanced sound.
- EMG Pickups: EMG pickups are often associated with high-output and active electronics. They are popular in heavy metal and hard rock genres for their clarity and precision. Models like the EMG 81 and EMG 85 are commonly used in Jackson guitars.
- DiMarzio Pickups: DiMarzio pickups are known for their distinctive tones and are used by many guitarists across different styles. The Super Distortion and Tone Zone models offer hot and aggressive tones, while the PAF Pro provides a more vintage-inspired sound.
- Custom-Wound Pickups: Some Jackson Custom Shop guitars, like the SL2H-V Soloist guitar, may come with custom-wound pickups designed specifically for that model. These pickups are often tailored to the guitar’s tonal characteristics and player’s preferences.
- Humbuckers and Single-Coils: Jackson guitars may feature a combination of humbucker and single-coil pickups, providing a versatile range of tones. Humbuckers are known for their noise reduction and higher output, while single-coil pickups offer a cleaner and brighter sound.
Bridge and Hardware
The SL2H-V Soloist guitar [Amazon link] might come with a high-performance bridge, such as a Floyd Rose tremolo system, for precise tuning stability and dynamic whammy bar effects. Premium hardware is typically used for tuning machines and other components.
Finishes: Custom Shop guitars often offer a range of finish options, allowing players to choose a look that suits their style. These finishes can range from classic solids to intricate burst or custom graphics.
Customization: One of the main benefits of a custom shop offering is the ability to customize various aspects of the guitar, including the wood choices, finish, hardware, and electronics. This allows players to create a guitar that meets their specific preferences and requirements.